Consiglia questo sito su Facebook:

QUESTO SPAZIO BANNER E' IN VENDITA. PER INFO CONTATTARE MASTER@FUTURIMEDICI.COM

American Doctor Looking for Work in Italy

Di più
11 Anni 5 Mesi fa #188994 da jnesta1
Ciao!

I am an American physician with dual citizenship who is looking for work in Italy.  I am Board-certified in Family Medicine and have been practicing for nearly 20 years.  I love Italy (my great grandparents immigrated from province Avellino) and intend to move there in the very near future.  I am wondering what the prospects might be of my finding work there as a physician?  What are salaries like?  Would I most likely have to take work in a rural area?

I also have training in, and have practiced, 'alternative' medicine, if that would help.

I am in the process of having my credentials recognized in Italy.  It has taken me the better part of a year to obtain all the documents, and the Consulate in Chicago is actively working on getting my Dichiarazione di Valore for all my degrees and licensing.  After that, I believe I have to apply to the Health Ministry in Italy, but the details of that are pretty vague.  If you have any details about that I would appreciate that as well.

A friend shared an article with me that talked about unemployment among Ialian physicians being very high, almost 20%.  Is that true?

My plan is to move there in the next month or so, and take an immersion course to learn Italian, then find work.  I took 2 semesters of university Italian a few years back, so am a bit rusty right now, but i would look forward to becoming fluent.

I just returned from a 2 week vacation on the Amalfi coast.  I loved it, as I have my other 4 trips to Italy.  The weather and scenery were wonderful.

Any advice and/or suggestions you might have for me would be most welcome.

Mille grazie in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Jeff

Si prega Accedi o Crea un account a partecipare alla conversazione.

Di più
11 Anni 5 Mesi fa #189027 da DrHP
Don't. Really. Don't.

How many loved your moments of glad grace
And loved your beauty with love false or true;
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face.

Di più
11 Anni 5 Mesi fa #189036 da ari
Are you kidding? ;D ;D

Di più
11 Anni 5 Mesi fa #189050 da jnesta1
First, thank you for your reposnses...however brief.  i did not get an email notification that anyone had answred.  is there a settign i need to change here at the site?

i'm sorry, but your answers were a bit cryptic.  would you care to elaborate?  this is soething i have been working very ahrd on and have already invested a great deal of time (hundreeds of hours) and money (you have no idea how much).

the answer to another english speaking doctor, sushi_doctor, were much more positive only a year ago.  have things changed?  i had thought maybe having all my credentialas already recognized by the italian government might be an advntage.

thank you... i think.

jeff

Di più
11 Anni 5 Mesi fa #189060 da Mariapupazza
Hi Jeff,
I know you might have found the responses above a bit on the rude. But you must believe me: It's sheer desperation. The occupational situation for young doctors in Italy is beyond belief. They would probably consider doing your journey in reverse, and run away to the US any minute.
For what concerns experienced doctors the situation is likely to be as problematic. Unless you are considering working privately, possibly in a large centre such as Rome, Milan (or maybe Naples if you hope to live around Avellino) as an alternative medicine physician. Getting a post into the national health service as a General Practitioner would be almost impossible at present.
But I don't see why you should give up on your life project just yet. If I were you, I would send out CVs to any complementary/alternative medicine private practice and SPA I could find. Some might require that you become a partner. Do you have funds left should that be the case?
Above all...how is your Italian? Italians in general do not have a good command of English. Language skills are therefore essential.
I am sorry if the current political financial crisis is coming in the way of your life project. It is the same for all of us really. I myself would love to go back home and contribute to my community with all these exciting skills I have learned in the UK. But I am realistic and know that unless I bribe and corrupt, and beg and sell my votes and those of my patients, I will never have a post in the national health service.
We all just hope for a fresh breeze to rise (or a tempest) and wipe away all this corrupt system, that we may get what we deserve in a way that is truly meritocratic and open.
Apologies for the notes of bitterness. Keep believing and trying.
I wish you the best of luck.
Maria

Di più
11 Anni 5 Mesi fa #189063 da jnesta1
ciao maria,

thank you taking time to elaborate a bit.  that helped.

one wonders how much credence to give to the other types of responses, without some additional explanation or reason for the response.

can i ask...are you a physician?  it sounds like you are in the UK?  are you from Italy?  i was hoping to get answers from people actually in the medical profession.

as to my Italian, it's actually not great right now.  But i know it would need to be, and am not worried about that. i pick up lnaguages easily.  there are many immersion scools in Italy and I would avail myself of at least one of them.

you mentioned SPA?  what is that, please?

as far as becoming a partner...that would be tough.  not really in a financial position to do that.  but if i could work myself into such a position i would be interested.  always open to fidng a backer as well.  :)

what is the state of alternative medicine in Italy? in my part of the US (the midwest), it is not widely accepted.  would it be difficult to start a practice there and build a client base?  i presume that to find alternative practices i would simply have to google them?  or is there a database or national system for that as well?  sorry for my ignorance.

would you mind saying a bit more about why it is so tough in italy for docs? is it the financial crisis?  with a state-run system, i wouldn't think that would be an issue.  people still need doctors, right?

lastly, even though it might be difficult, i think i will still apply for my italian license.  do you have any advice on how to do that?  teh consulate has sent me a form from the ministero della salute, but no details of what to do with it.

again, many thanks in advance.

jeff

Tempo creazione pagina: 0.693 secondi